In honour of the memory of Rowan Stringer, “Rowan’s Law Day” is commemorated in Ontario on the last Wednesday in September to raise awareness about concussions in sports.
Rowan's Law was passed with unanimous support in the Ontario Legislature in March 2018.
The Law designates the last Wednesday in September as "Rowan's Law Day" in honour of the memory of Rowan Stringer.
The OATA supported the first Rowan's Law petition and stood with MPP Lisa MacLeod -- the champion of this ground-breaking precedent on concussion legislation -- at the announcement of the Coroner's Inquest Recommendations on Concussions that referenced the role for Athletic Therapists.
The OATA was one of the founding members of MacLeod's first Rowan's Law Working Group.
As Rowan's Law advanced, OATA and Athletic Therapists were displaced from the Working Group as the Government moved to accept regulated health professions only.
Please see the OATA letter to Minister MacLeod issued today requesting ATs return to the Working Group.
As Ontario's concussion experts, we agree whether its Return to Learn, Work or Play, the issue of concussion identification, treatment and monitoring is one we are proud to address.
HEADSUP ON CONCUSSION NEWS
The Ontario Athletic Therapist Association (OATA) is pleased to announce its partnership on concussion research and education with HeadsUpCAN.
“Our organization is excited to be partnering with the Ontario Athletic Therapist Association (OATA) to provide el-learning resources for its OATA Online Academy platform. At HeadsupCAN, we understand the value Athletic Therapists provide and the vital role they play in concussion recognition, removal, management and prevention in sport. We look forward to furthering our mission of building collaborative network that work to innovate concussion education, research and awareness through this partnership with OATA."
Call to Action Links
- Rowan's Law Stats and Facts (Click Here)
- Watch the Ontario Government Public Awareness Commercial (Click Here)
Province investing in mental health support, healthy sport culture (Click Here)
- Concussion Management and Return to Learn (Click Here)
- Concussion 101, a Primer for Kids and Parents (Click Here)
- Think you know everything about concussion? Take the quiz from UHN! (Click Here)
- Join the movement! Team Up Against Concussion by Concussion Legacy Foundation #PlayHardAndPlaySmart (Click Here)
- Want to spread the word? Download this tool kit from Ophea here (Click Here)